Directory of Rare Book and Special Collections in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland, 3rd edition, now available!
Facet Publishing have announced the release of the 3rd edition of the Directory of Rare Book and Special Collections in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland.
The Directory is the only publication to bring together rare book and special collections from all kinds of libraries across the UK and Ireland and is an essential research tool for researchers and librarians throughout the world.
Fully updated since the second edition was published in 1997, this comprehensive and up-to-date guide encompasses collections held in national libraries, academic libraries, public libraries, subscription libraries, clergy libraries, libraries for other professions, school libraries, companies, London clubs, museums and archives, and libraries in stately homes.
Richard Ovenden, Bodley’s Librarian at the University of Oxford said, “The new edition is a long-awaited reference work which will help researchers identify the UK and Republic of Ireland’s great collections of research materials. It provides detailed and authoritative information and is a must for all serious researchers.”
- contains a national, cross-sectoral overview of rare book and special collections
- offers full contact details, and descriptions of rare book and named special collections including quantities and particular subject and language strengths
- provides a quick and easy summary of individual libraries’ holdings
- directs researchers to the libraries most relevant for them
- assists libraries to evaluate their special collections according to a ‘unique and distinctive’ model
- enables libraries to make informed decisions about acquisition and collaboration
- helps booksellers and donors to target offers.
The Directory’s blog is also a wonderful resource to witness the development and research that went into creating this publication.
David Prosser, Executive Director of Research Libraries UK said, “Together, institutions in the UK and Ireland hold unrivalled special collections. From our great National Libraries, through university collections to the smaller collections of specialist societies, cathedrals, historic homes, and museums we have a centuries-old tradition of collecting, preserving and giving access. Scholars from around the world and across disciplinary differences rely on the treasures held by libraries listed in the Directory to pursue their research and help us make sense of the world in which we live.”