RDA & Rare Materials Seminar, Edinburgh, 6th November
CIG Scotland is delighted to host an international seminar on RDA & Rare Materials, in conjunction with members of the Association of College & Research Libraries’ Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS), the European RDA Interest Group (EURIG), the CILIP Rare Books and Special Collections Group (RBSCG), the CILIP Cataloguing & Indexing Group (CIG), IFLA and JSC
This seminar has been organised in association with the meeting of the Joint Steering Committee for Development of RDA, which meets at the National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh on 2-6 November 2015
- Date: Friday 6th November
- Time: 10.00-16:00
- Venue: Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Innovation, High School Yards, Infirmary Street, Edinburgh EH1 1LZ (http://edinburghcentre.org/Venue.html)
- Cost: £48 (incl 20% VAT)
Prompted by organizational changes within JSC, the revision of ACRL’s Rare Books & Manuscripts Section’s Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials, the international efforts of institutions and organizations to enhance bibliographic data sharing and interoperability, and the recognition that access to rare materials and special collections is vital for research and learning, this seminar brings together experts and practitioners from around the world. Participants will share, through a mix of presentations and discussion, their current practices and methods for the description of, and access to, rare materials. The objectives of this seminar are knowledge sharing to gain the widest possible picture of current practices and international collaboration on cataloguing and descriptive standards.
- RDA & descriptive cataloging of rare materials: developing policy statements for special collections resources – Francis Lapka (Yale Center for British Art) and Audrey Pearson (Yale University Beinecke Library
- Step children of printing : toward an integrated standard for the description of single-sheet items – Flavia Bruni, Sapienza University of Rome
- Alignment between special material and RDA in German speaking countries – Christian Aliverti (Swiss National Library) and Renate Behrens (Deutsche Nationalbibliothek)
- Transcription in rare materials cataloguing – Deborah J. Leslie, Folger Shakespeare Library
- Metadata is catnip to digital scholars – Jennifer Schaffner
- RDA & Rare books cataloguing at Edinburgh University Library – Alasdair Macdonald and Elizabeth Quarmby Lawrence, University of Edinburgh (short paper )
- Something old, something new: rare books and RDA – Josie Caplehorne and Rachel Dickinson, University of Kent (short paper)
- Book bindings and paper sheets fit for RDA : current practice in the Netherlands – Lian Wintermans and Marja Smolenaars, Koninklijke Bibliotheek, Netherlands
- The language of bindings thesaurus – Nicholas Pickwoad and Athanasios Velios, Ligatus, University of the Arts London (short paper)
Associated events The seminar is associated with several events taking place in Edinburgh of potential interest to attendees.
For full details of associated events and for registration, please visit CILIP’s Cataloguing and Index Group’s page for this event.