Registration OPEN: “A common international standard for rare materials cataloguing? Why? And how?”
“A common international standard for rare materials cataloguing? Why? And how?”
22nd February 2016, Biblioteca Nacional de Portugal (Lisbon), 10am-6pm
Registration is now open for this one-day conference being held at the Biblioteca Nacional de Portugal (Lisbon) on the 22February 2016, sponsored by the IFLA Rare Books & Special Collections Section and the Biblioteca Nacional de Portugal.
This conference will aim to bring the discussion of changing trends and standards for the description of early printed books and special collections in all formats, for instance archives, audio-visual and born-digital material, to an international stage. In an age when catalogues and metadata are shared across libraries, systems and borders, should there be a common international standard for the cataloguing of rare books and special collections? Is this a desirable or attainable goal? What might such a common standard look like, and how might it be achieved?
Topics of the presentations include:
– existing national and international standards
– case studies of the adoption, adaptation or rejection of particular cataloguing standards at institutional or national level
– methodology and delivery of shared cataloguing programmes and data interoperability
– integrating standards for different formats
– theoretical, methodological or historical perspectives
– the needs of researchers and other users, or of cataloguers and other data creators
Registration for this one-day event is free, however if you wish to attend please contact Daryl Green, Section Information Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
The IFLA Rare Books & Special Collections Section also has limited space for observers of its day of business meetings (23 February, including planning for the summer’s WLIC sessions as well as the IFLA cultural heritage agenda and the section’s action plan) as well as its library visit to the Mafra National Palace (24 February); if you would like to attend either or both of these days, please indicate this in your registration email.